Saturday, September 27, 2008

10K in Flagstaff


Today I accomplished a huge goal.
I ran my first 10k with my good friend Ami Bethea, and my sister
Mallory. This race is known as the most "scenic and difficult in the Southwest". The extremely HIGH elevation made it very
difficult to breathe, not to mention, it was very rough terrain. Just to give you an idea, it's like hiking up, UP, a big mountain- but running!

A Few Memories of the Race:
1.No trails
2. Feeling like I was suffocating
3. stumbling over log stumps and rocks
4. twisting both ankles
5. allergic reaction to something in the air
6. a rock stuck in my shoe (that I stopped and tried to get out 3x.)
7. my Ipod quitting on me!

It was so hard, but I feel great knowing I finished and
that I can do it,

Here we are after we finished the race.

YEA! We did it!

10 comments:

Ami Bethea said...

lol Those sound like GREAT memories of the race Kati! It was tons of fun and we all did awesome, all things considering. It was crazy hard those first 3 miles, seriously. But we did it! Next we got the turkey trot and I just heard from my friend about a 10 mile race on Dec. 6th. We could do it, piece of cake right? At least it's at Tempe Town Lake in elevation we are used to with NO mountains to climb. Sounds like my kind of race.

The Lowes said...

Impressed!

standifird family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
standifird family said...

I didn't know there weren't trails...that's tough! Way to go!

Ok- Regan has been playing with a tiny baby with short brown hair all morning...feeding it, putting it in time-out, giving it naps, and calling it "BABY MERT"!!! :)

Coree Adams said...

Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Good job! :) yeah we are in Flag right now and when we passed Howard Johnson dad was like "That's where Kati and Mal stayed.We gotta call Kati and let her know we just passed it." haha but of course mom reasoned with him that it wasn't necessary.

Ben and Maggie said...

Good job! I did the Turkey trot 2 years ago pushing Ethan and Ellie. My legs felt shaky the rest of the day. I can't imagine doing it in the mountains, guess I'm a wuss.

Amber Olsen said...

Your sooo cute. Your giving me hope because I am running my first 10k on October 25th. Also that is the day of my huge couples only Halloween Party. Mark it on your calendar NOW. I miss you.

The Scotts said...

Way to go!! You gals are awesome!

Kelly said...

Blue and I and the kids are getting ready to go to Flagstaff right now...I will think of you while I am up there. I'm so impressed with you. I have never done that - and likely never will! 1 mile without stopping and I'd be happy! I will email you - wanted to talk about something.